Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Marathon Died for your Sins

I was biking around Boston yesterday, and I ran into the marathon. Now, the marathon wasn't a big surprise to me, because a friend of my roomate's who is running the marathon was staying at my place this weekend. I crossed over the river of runners a couple of times in my random perusal of Boston, which I'm wont to do on my days off. Peruse Boston. Not cross runners. You shouldn't cross a river of runners if you can avoid it. This is something I learned yesterday.
It occured to me, wading through the sea of sweaty bodies, that people run the marathon in celebration of the guy named Marathon, who ran from one town to the next in Greece like four billion years ago. Twenty-six or so miles he ran to deliver some important message from one Greek to another. Then he died of exhaustion. So we're celebrating the death of Marathon by trying our best to imitate his untimely demise. You kind of have to wonder who came up with that idea...
And then there's Jesus. The only thing I have to say about that is: what would evil robot Jesus do?.

Latiflearned.com - Go Listen

PS: When I say I ran into the marathon, don't get the impression that I did any running. Because I didn't. Sometimes I run. Monday wasn't one of those times.

PPS: People die often running marathons. The circle of life keeps.. um... being... circular.

UPDATE: I stand corrected. Tim tells me otherwise about the story of the Marathon. Maybe I'm strung out on endorphins. It could be, except that I've never taken any endorphins. But who's to say that matters?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think those folks who told you the marathon story were strung out on endorphins. I will copy and paste what I know. Behold my l33t copy and paste skillz!!

The legend grew up around a famous battle that took place in 490 B.C., when Athenian troops defeated a large Persian invasion force on the plain of Marathon, about 25 miles from Athens.

According to Herodotus, the Athenians sent a military courier named Phidippides (or Pheidippides or Philippides) to request help from Sparta. He covered the distance, about 150 miles, in less than two days.

About 600 years later, the legend arose that Phidippides had been sent to Athens to bring news of the victory at Marathon. After reaching the city, he said, "Rejoice, we conquer," and then died of the exertion--or so the story went.

Anonymous said...

I think your music is amazing.
^_^