Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I was going to write something fantastic. The only thing I required, after sitting down at the computer and logging on to Blogger, was a fantastic idea. Damn! It didn't come!
I will simply say, then, that salmon filets go well with dry Riesling, some arugula, and bacon bits. I will say that Toronto is a nice city, if a bit unorthodox for my St. Paul and New York-addled mind. My dad has a great apartment. I'm really excited to see Anna (she comes in two days! Thurdsay at 4:20, barring any flight mishaps!). I wrote two songs yesterday morning. If I get enough encouragement, I might record them and give them to you. Otherwise, I'll put them on my next album, which, if you've been keeping track, might be a ways off.
People are fascinating. In this city, they look at you ever so briefly, and then look away. Like, if you were going to approach them and start talking, they wouldn't be totally surprised, but they won't give you a look-down, or a hello, or care about you unless you're going to make some effort. It amazes me how this is different in every city. In New Haven, it's studious how people don't look at you. Like they'd prefer it if you didn't exist at all. Like it would make their life better to walk alone down the street, and keep from being molested. In St. Paul, you say "hello" to many people you see on the street, and give a friendly nod or a smile to everyone else you see. But elsewhere, this is considered rude, and off-putting. That's fascinating.
Time to go.

No comments: